Thursday, September 23, 2010

Forget Man UP! Granny UP at my house...

I didn't get alot of her things when she passed, Granny didn't have alot of material things.  She had everything else in spades.   The few things I do have of hers is spreadout through our house.  No one would ever notice them, their not special to look at.  A worn yellow towel I should have thrown out years ago.  I keep it in the back of our towel closet.  I remember her every time the laundry gets low. 
An old 9x13 baking pan, that she probably paid $5 dollars for in 1978.  But it has her name on the back where she scratched it into the pan with a knife.  I love that baking pan, I swear my kitchen smells like Granny whenever I use it!
Granny was a force.  She was stronger than just about any man in the neighborhood.  She would work all day, and come home to rake her entire yard.  Front and back, at 60+ years of age. If you weren't raised in the South, we raked our yard every week, no twigs, no limbs, and no pine needles.
When I decided to pursue photography and had doubts about my ability I would think about Granny. 
I read magazines ALOT for posing ideas and trends.  An advertisement the other day had "Man UP" on the caption.  I laughed out loud.  "Granny UP" is more like it!
I thought about that tonight.  A recipe I had tucked into one of my cookbooks fell out as I was starting dinner.  It was Granny's recipe for Peanut Butter Balls.  Yum!  These are great and you can easily make ahead.
Granny Tallent's Peanut Butter Balls
 2 cups confectioner sugar
3/4 cup graham crackers  (crushed)
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter (melted)
1 cup Peanut butter.

Mix all together, form balls (size of quarter), refrigerate 2 hours.
Melt chocolate bark, dip balls into chocolate with toothpicks.

So when you think your down and can't slay anymore dragons, just think to yourself "Granny UP"...if not fix these peanut butter balls - you'll feel better in NO time!   Promise!




















I can't remember who's birthday it was.  But Granny was always in the spirit!

1 comment:

  1. I've made those peanut butter balls so many times. Of course they just don't taste as good as Grannys. That woman was the heart of her family although she would never think so. I remember daddy asking me to go pick her up one time and off to Gadsden I went. I told him I would be back before closing. She was ready with purse in lap when I got there. She was always set on "go" when she knew I was coming to get her. On our way back we were talking about men. I told her she needed a boyfriend. LOL. We passed 2 guys in some sort of hot rod car. She smiled at them and we all flirted most of the way back to Huntsville. We talked about that trip for years afterwards. Thanks for some memories of her. Love ya chick !

    ReplyDelete